"Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. Check back later for more, and let us know what you think of the new feature in the comments section.
- Friday is shaping up to be a bit cooler than earlier this week — partly cloudy with a high of 55 degrees and a low of 33 degrees, according to The Weather Channel. Overnight will be mostly clear.
- Tax-filing procrastinators have through the weekend to get their paperwork together, as both state and federal tax filing deadlines have been pushed back from the usual April 15 date. (Though feel free to get it done today!) According to the Mass. Department of Revenue, the change is related to the fact that a federally recognized holiday, Emancipation Day, falls on Saturday, thus it is observed on the previous weekday, today. Massachusetts residents have yet another day to complete their state tax filings, as Monday is Patriots' Day. The deadline to file 2010 state taxes is Tuesday, April 19.
- Ready to get out and enjoy spring? Join and his trusty canine companion Edy on a walk around Needham. Meet at the Presbyterian Church in Needham at 8:30 a.m., and don't be late!
- Bring the young ones to hear a story at the . Ages newborn to one year are invited to participate in Baby Lap Time at 10:00 a.m., while ages 5 and under can drop by Storytime at 10:30 a.m. All children should be accompanied by an adult.
- Who helped pave the way for big changes in Major League Baseball when he stepped onto the field to play on this day in 1947? Answer.