“Five Things You Need to Know Today” is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. Chance of rain: Things may be slightly damp for those holding signs at the polls today, with a slight chance of showers after 1 p.m., according to the National Weather Service. The rest of the day will be partly sunny with a high near 60 degrees. Showers could return in the evening after 10 p.m., with an evening low around 38 degrees.
2. Don’t forget to vote! Speaking of the Town Election, polls will be open from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. today in all 10 precincts. Contested races include (two candidates for one spot) and (three candidates for two spots). Voters also will select all 240 Town Meeting members at today’s ballot box. Check back with Needham Patch tonight for election results as soon as they become available.
3. Need a ride to the polls? The League of Women Voters of Needham offers free rides to the polls from 12-4 p.m. on Election Day. To request a ride, call Lindsay Acomb at 781-449-1654.
4. Visit the Arabian Peninsula: Barry Pell will present a through “Oman and Yemen: Historic Land of the Queen of Sheba” tonight at 7:30 p.m. in the Community Room. This program is offered free to the public with support from the Library Foundation of Needham. For more information, call the library at 781-455-7559. Also at the library: The Needham Public Library Book Club will meet at 1 p.m. to discuss Charlotte Bronte’s “Jane Eyre.”
5. Best businesses: Speaking of voting, be sure to in this week’s Best Of Needham – Readers’ Choice poll, which asks readers which sporting goods store is the best in town. The poll is open through Friday at 9 a.m., and the winner will be announced at noon that day.