It’s Thursday, and the weekend is right around the corner. Patch has your back with a few fun things to do. Check our picks for the activities to hit and some places to explore. Here's what's happening in and around your town.
- Where/when: , 100 Cabot St., Needham; Friday, Sept. 14, 7-11 p.m.
- Why go: Gather your friends for a fun evening for a good cause—helping raise funds for the Library Foundation of Needham, which supports the . Attendees will enjoy a buffet dinner, dancing and delightful distractions, as well as silent and live auctions. You could win a tour of the White House with Congressman Stephen Lynch, sports tickets and lots of other fun stuff. Meet special guest Gregory Maguire, author of the Wicked series. Register online at www.lfnonline.org and click on “register for gala” on the homepage.
- Pricing: $75 per person
- Where/when: , 0 Pine St., Needham; Saturday, Sept. 15, 9 a.m. to noon
- Why go: Drop by the Pine Street site (at the end of Pine Street, right before Charles River Street) any Saturday between 9 a.m. and noon to help with farm chores. Helping out at the local nonprofit farm is a great way to spend time with friends and family, enjoy the outdoors, learn about gardening and support a local cause.
- Pricing: Free; volunteer
- Where/when: , 1458 Great Plain Ave., Needham; Saturday, Sept. 15, 3-4 p.m.
- Why go: Come to Needham Cub Scouts Pack 4's Open House to meet new friends and learn about the adventures that are available to boys in Needham. Cub Scouts provides fun, educational and character-developing activities for boys in grades 1-5. Some of the fun activities planned for the year include campouts, the Pinewood Derby, community service projects, ropes/obstacle courses, skating, Rocket Day and overnights aboard the USS Salem and at the Roger Williams Zoo.
- Pricing: Fees for the year are $55. Financial assistance is available.
- Where/when: , 23 Dedham Ave., Needham; Sunday, Sept. 16, 1-5 p.m.
- Why go: Shop from a variety of locally grown produce, herbs, meat, baked goods and more. Featured artisans will be Tanya Chin and Candy Sidner, and there will be music by the Great Complainers. Live Well Chiropractic will be at the nonprofit table. The market is held every Sunday through October. Learn more at www.needhamfarmersmarket.org.
- Pricing: Free admission; items for sale
- Where/when: , 472 High Rock St., Needham; Sunday, Sept. 16, 6:45 p.m.
- Why go: Celebrate the High Holidays with Chabad Jewish Center. The Rosh Hashanah program will begin Sunday at 6:45 p.m. with an Introduction to the High Holidays followed by evening services at 7:15 p.m. and a Rosh Hashanah Dinner (RSVP required). See the full schedule on the Chabad Jewish Center website.
- Pricing: Free