It’s Thursday, and the weekend is right around the corner. Patch has your back with a few fun things to do. Check our picks for the activities to hit and some places to explore. Here's what's happening in and around your town.
- Where/when: , Dedham Avenue, Needham; Saturday, May 19, 10 a.m. to noon
- Why go: Kids of all ages will enjoy a morning of fun behind the wheel of big rigs, front-end loaders and pick-up trucks. This fun family event is sponsored by the Department of Public Works and the Park and Recreation Commission.
- Pricing: Free
- Where/when: , 1147 Central Ave., Needham; Saturday, May 19, 4 p.m.
- Why go: Join the Needham Historical Society for a reception to celebrate the opening of their new exhibit, "Free Soil—Free Men: Needham and the Civil War.” There will be tours and refreshments. Using letters, photos and memorabilia, "Free Soil—Free Men" looks at life in Needham at the start of the Civil War, how the town responded, and the experiences of some of its young soldiers.
- Pricing: Free
- Where/when: , 23 Dedham Ave., Needham; Saturday, May 19, 8-10:30 p.m.
- Why go: Juno nominees in 2011 and winners of the 2010 Canadian Folk Music Award for Vocal Group of the Year, Amanda Walther and Sheila Carabine of Dala write and sing in harmony best described as angelic. Walther’s ethereal soprano voice blends seamlessly with Carabine’s velvety alto, creating the lush harmonies that have become their trademark. Dala were honored by being the only Canadian act invited to play at the 50th anniversary of the famed Newport Folk Festival, where they were the smash surprise hit. Opening will be a rising talent on the New England folk scene, Margaret Sargent, who currently splits her time between her hometown of Needham and her adopted home of Waterville, ME.
- Pricing: $18 general, $15 students and seniors
- Where/when: , 28 Glen Gary Rd., Needham; Sunday, May 20, 12-4 p.m.
- Why go: Bring the kids and enjoy a day of fun for all ages, including mini-NASCAR racing, Barn Babies petting zoo, a super slide, moon bounce, photo booth, cake walk and more. Cotton candy, burgers, hot dogs and a variety of fun treats will be available for sale. This event is sponsored by the Hillside PTC.
- Pricing: Free admission
- Where/when: DCR’s Cutler Park, 140 Kendrick St., Needham; 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Why go: Geared Up For Kids is great for the whole family, leisure or serious cyclists or runners/walkers and supportive members of the community. Individuals can participate by riding on one of three great bike routes: 2, 10 and 25 miles; running (or walking) in the 5K; and celebrating at the Family Fun Festival immediately following all the events. Proceeds from this event support children’s brain cancer research. For more information and to register, visit the Geared Up For Kids website.
- Pricing: Suggested minimum donation of $250 per adult and $100 per child