It’s Thursday, and the weekend is right around the corner. Patch has your back with a few fun things to do. Check our picks for the activities to hit and some places to explore. Here's what's happening in and around your town.
- Where/when: , 1132 Highland Ave., Needham; Friday, June 8 at 8 p.m. and Sunday, June 10 at 2:30 p.m.
- Why go: Needham's own Longwood Opera will kick off its 26th season with "A Tribute to Leonard Bernstein” this weekend. Performances will include selections from his sacred and musical theater works including songs from "West Side Story," "Candide" and "On the Town." There will also be a staged, costumed production of "Trouble in Tahiti." For more information visit www.longwoodopera.org.
- Pricing: Tickets are $23-$13 at the door.
- Where/when: at Linden Square, 180 Linden St., Wellesley; Saturday, June 9, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Why go: Car enthusiasts from all over the area will be displaying their cars. Talk directly with the owners on more than 50 cars—everything from street rods like in the movie “American Graffiti” to vintage American cars like the eye-catching Model T.
- Pricing: Free
- Where/when: at Highland and Great Plain avenues, Needham; Saturday, June 9, 10 a.m. (rain location: )
- Why go: Sponsored by the Needham Cultural Council working together with members of NeedArts, the annual Spring Arts Festival brings together many local talents for a festive day. Fine artists, ceramic artists, jewelry designers and many others will come together to display their work and talents at this family event. Plein air painters will paint in and around the town center, bringing their paintings together at day's end for a reception. Local musicians, vocal groups and dancers will entertain throughout the day. Learn more at needarts.org.
- Pricing: Free admission; items available for purchase
- Where/when: , 23 Dedham Ave., Needham, on the front lawn; Sunday, June 10, 1-5 p.m.
- Why go: It’s been a long time coming, and the Needham Farmers Market will finally open this Sunday at its current location, on the front lawn of First Parish. An official grand opening celebration is tentatively scheduled for around 3 p.m., but residents can shop the market all afternoon, from 1-5 p.m. Check out the selection of produce, plants, baked goods, fish and even artwork. Find a full list of vendors, video interviews and more online at needhamfarmersmarket.org.
- Pricing: Free admission; items for sale
- Where/when: Meet at the town parking lot on Chapel Street, near ; Sunday, June 10, 2-4 p.m.
- Why go: Enjoy the late spring weather and join the Needham Friends of Woods and Waters and Boot Boutwell from the New England Wildflower Society, on a nature walk at Needham’s . The group will gather at the end of the town parking lot and walk from there. There is no need to sign up.
- Pricing: Free