It’s Thursday, and the weekend is right around the corner. Patch has your back with a few fun things to do. Check our picks for the activities to hit and some places to explore. Here's what's happening in and around your town.
- Where/when: , Highland and Great Plain avenues, Needham; Saturday, June 23 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Why go: Rescheduled after it was rained out earlier this month, the annual Needham Business Association Street Fair is always a fun way to see what the community has to offer. Various local businesses and organizations will be represented at booths set up around the Common, and there will be ongoing entertainment and kids' activities such as pony rides (from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., back of ). Be sure to drop by the Needham Patch table and say hello!
- Pricing: Free admission; refreshments for sale
- Where/when: , 268 Cedar St., Hopkinton; Saturday, June 23, from 7 a.m. to noon
- Why go: Join Needham residents like in raising funds to support the Massachusetts Breast Cancer Coalition, which works to reduce toxic chemicals in the environment that research shows are linked to the dramatic rise in the incidence of breast cancer. The 20th-anniversary event will consist of various family-friendly events, including a 1-mile swim, 2-mile kayak, 2-mile walk, 3-mile walk, 5K run and 10K run as well as a new “aquathlon” consisting of a competitive 1-mile swim and choice of 5K or 10K run. For more information or to register, visit mbcc.org/swim or call 800-649-6222.
- Pricing: Sign-up fees; other donations welcome
- Where/when: , 1500 Highland Ave., Needham; Saturday, June 23, 11 a.m.
- Why go: Meet Anne Canadeo, the bestselling author of more than 30 books, including her novels in the popular Black Sheep Knitting Mystery series: "While My Pretty One Knits"; "Knit, Purl, Die"; "A Stitch Before Dying"; and "Till Death Do Us Purl." Canadeo will talk about her writing, sign her books and give away many copies as door prizes.
- Pricing: Free
- Where/when: , 1139 Highland Ave., Needham; Saturday, June 23, 3 p.m.
- Why go: Boston-Based singer-songwriter and children’s performer Vanessa Trien will help the Needham Library launch this summer’s "Dream Big, READ!" . Trien has become a local rock star among the young and young at heart. The Summer 2012 "Dream Big, READ!" program series is sponsored by the Friends of the Needham Free Public Library.
- Pricing: Free
- Where/when: , 23 Dedham Ave., Needham; Sunday, June 24, 1-5 p.m.
- Why go: Catch up with your neighbors, enjoy live music and shop from a variety of produce, plants and herbs, bread, baked goods, fish, beef, cheese, tea, artisan pieces and other items. The market will be held every Sunday through October on the church's front lawn.
- Pricing: Free admission