It’s Thursday, and the weekend is right around the corner. Patch has your back with a few fun things to do. Check our picks for the activities to hit and some places to explore. Here's what's happening in and around your town.
1. 13th Annual Charles River Cleanup
- Where/when: At various sites along the Charles River; Saturday, April 21, 9 a.m. to noon
- Why go: Celebrate Earth Day by cleaning up the Charles River and getting it ready for the big canoe and kayak race next weekend. More than 3,000 volunteers will be helping out along all 80 miles of the river by picking up trash along the banks. Sign up online at crwa.org/cleanup.html or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for information.
- Pricing: Free and open to volunteers
- Where/when: , 1139 Highland Ave., Needham; Saturday, April 21, 3 p.m.
- Why go: Performed in a style reminiscent of the Vaudeville era, "Alejandro's Olde Tyme Magik Showe" is a one-man stand-up show with an emphasis on audience participation, visual magic, and physical comedy guaranteed to amuse the whole family. Blending classic magic and comedy with a little help from volunteer assistants, New Hampshire Magician of the Year Andrew Pinard draws spectators into his zany world of wonder.
- Pricing: Free; no sign-up required
- Where/when: , 49 Green St., Needham; Saturday, April 21, 8 p.m. to midnight
- Why go: Enjoy dessert, drinks, and casino-themed fun at Parent Talk’s popular annual fundraiser. This year’s event will help raise funds for new equipment at . For more information and tickets, visit www.parenttalk.info.
- Pricing: $50 for Parent Talk members, $60 for non-members, plus a cash bar.
- Where/when: , 942 Great Plain Ave., Needham; Sunday, April 22, 2-4 p.m. (another session offered April 29, 2-4 p.m.)
- Why go: Led by Chef Dave of Sweet Basil restaurant in Needham, this class includes “ample portions to sample and recipes to take home,” according to the Sweet Basil website. This Sunday’s menu includes: Asparagus Soup with Homemade Orecchiette and Pulled Garlicky Chicken; Arugula, Watercress, and Tarragon Salad tossed with a Green Tomato Vinaigrette and Warmed Fingerlings; and Seared Lamb Chops, Glazed with Kirshwasser and Sage over French Lentils. Space is limited—register by fax to 781-455-0417 or by phone to 781-455-0400 ext. 235.
- Pricing: $75 per person
- Where/when: , 1360 Highland Ave., Needham; Sunday, April 22, 4 p.m.
- Why go: Enjoy this gala performance of masterpieces by Gabrieli, Bach, Gigout, Strauss and others in a special benefit concert. Performing will be Leo Abbott, organist and music director of the Cathedral of the Holy Cross in Boston, and the Cathedral Brass Ensemble.
- Pricing: Free-will offering appreciated; proceeds support music program at Cathedral of the Holy Cross