It’s date night!
Whether that means you’ve finally managed to wrangle a few hours away from the kids, are looking for a fresh way to spend time with your amour or need a friendly location to schedule that blind date, chances are you’re in need of some ideas. Sure, there are plenty of options in the big city, but what about if you want to enjoy a night out right here in your hometown?
Here are five spots we think you should consider for the occasion:
1. A Great Local Restaurant
- Why it’s a good date idea: Needham’s known for its delicious dining options, and that means there are plenty of places to take your date for a meal. has that special “date” feel with its linen tablecloths and large, open windows on summer evenings. Or try , , , or any of a number of restaurants that can be found in our Places listings. Looking for a certain type of cuisine? Check out our
- Cost: Depends on the restaurant and the meal; online menus can be found for many locations by linking to the restaurant Web site via its Patch listing.
2. A Night at the Opera
- Why it’s a good date idea: If you’re looking for some culture with your evening out, you don’t have to head to Symphony Hall to get it. Here in Needham, offers a variety of performances from its summer concert series to full operas such as the recent debut of “The Picture of Dorian Gray.” Coming up: on Tuesday, Aug. 23, a sing-a-long version of on Sunday, Aug. 28 (a special free show) and on Tuesday, Aug. 30. All summer shows are held at 7:30 p.m. at , 1132 Highland Ave. This fall, look for a local production of Puccini’s “La Boheme,” Oct. 14 and 16.
- Cost: Tickets are available at the door and cost $8 for adults and $6 for students, seniors and children ages 10 and under.
- Why it’s a good date idea: Candlepin bowling is a great date activity because it gives you the opportunity to talk and get to know one another while keeping you active as well. If the idea of sitting across a table for a few hours makes you a little nervous, the Bowlaway provides a fun alternative (although you may want to grab something to eat before or after, unless a vending machine meal is up your alley). For some extra fun, come for Cosmic Bowling and enjoy a game under the neon lights.
- Cost: $25 per lane per hour after noon Tuesday through Sunday, plus $4 per shoe rental. Call ahead to reserve a lane on busy nights.
4. Try Something Sweet
- Why it’s a good date idea: For an alternative to fine dining, how about just going out for dessert? Grab an ice cream cone at Lizzy’s or , make your own cupcake at Treat Cupcake Bar or stop by any of Needham’s fine restaurants and just order from the dessert menu. Because many diners are too full by the end of the meal to try something sweet, this is a great way to get a taste of what Needham has to offer in the way of cakes, pies and other delicacies. Share one really rich item or order a few and try a bite of each.
- Cost: Depends on the restaurant; although, if money’s tight, just ordering dessert is definitely cheaper than going with a full meal
5. Watch the Sun Set Over Hemlock Gorge
- Why it’s a good date spot: September’s nearly upon us, so the opportunities to spend time in the great outdoors this year are dwindling. Pack a picnic dinner or just bring yourselves and a blanket and find a spot at one of Needham’s beautiful parks—, or elsewhere. Talk, eat, whisper sweet nothings … the possibilities are as wide as the open sky.
- Cost: Free, aside from the cost of the picnic meal.