It’s Thursday, and the weekend is right around the corner. Patch has your back with a few fun things to do. Check our picks for the activities to hit and some places to explore. Here's what's happening in and around your town.
- Where/when: , 609 Webster St., Needham; Friday, May 4 and Saturday, May 5, 7:30 p.m.
- Why go: See Needham High School’s Theatre Arts Society bring Neil Simon’s classic play, “The Odd Couple,” to life on the local stage. The show promises lots of laughs with a great cast, including Max Schapiro as Oscar and Michael Jay as Felix.
- Pricing: $5 per ticket, available at the door
- Where/when: , 800 Highland Ave., Needham; Saturday, May 5, 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Why go: Get deals on a variety of items at Carter Memorial United Methodist Church’s community yard sale, and get rid of old items you don’t want in the electronics recycling area, for a small fee. The church will be accepting computers, appliances, exercise equipment, lawn mowers, TVs, batteries and more. Adult bicycles can be dropped off for free. All proceeds from the day will go to help with Tropical Storm Lee and Hurricane Irene clean-up in the Binghamton, NY area. Contact email@example.com for more details.
- Pricing: Recycling prices range from $5-$20.
- Where/when: , 1132 Highland Ave., Needham; Saturday, May 5, 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Why go: Shop from a variety of children’s clothing (ages 0-8 years), maternity clothes, baby gear, youth sports equipment, toys, books and more at this annual sale. The general sale will run from 8:30-11:45 a.m. At noon, Parent Talk’s famous bargain bag sale will begin—for just $10, attendees will receive a brown paper bag and can stuff it with anything that fits. All maternity items will be two for $5 or five for $10.
- Pricing: Varies
- Where/when: Needham Reservoir, behind the , 500 Dedham Ave., Needham; Saturday, May 5, 9 a.m. to noon
- Why go: See what you can catch at the Needham Park and Recreation Department’s 12th annual fishing derby, sponsored by the Needham Park and Recreation Commission, Mass. Wildlife—Newton Workshop Group, Mass. Division of Fisheries and Wildlife and many volunteers. A limited number of fishing rods will be available to borrow. Bait will be available. Register online, by mail or in person at the Park and Recreation Office in the PSAB. Rain date is May 12.
- Pricing: Free
- Where/when: Studios around town (see www.needhamopenstudios.com for a map of locations); Saturday, May 5, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Sunday, May 6, 12-4 p.m.
- Why go: The 14th annual Needham Open Studios Tour will feature more than 50 artists welcoming guests into their studios and group spaces to learn about their creative processes and obtain handcrafted artwork. An event brochure/map with listings of artists and locations is available around town and online at www.needhamopenstudios.com. For more information call 781-453-9323.
- Pricing: Free
- Where/when: , Webster Street and Gordon Road, Needham; Saturday, May 5, 5-10 p.m.
- Why go: New to Needham and looking to meet your neighbors? Come to the Newcomer Club's Kentucky Derby Party and enjoy Southern fare, including drinks like bourbon mint juleps, and bet on your favorite horses as you watch the Kentucky Derby. Derby attire welcome. Contact Michelle Keefe for more information.
- Pricing: $30 per person
- Where/when: , 200 Harris Ave., Needham; Sunday, May 6, 10:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Why go: The Needham Track Club's annual Great Bear Run features races for all ages, from toddlers to seniors, and all proceeds will benefit prostate cancer research. Events include a 5K run, 1-mile run, 1-mile Prostate Cancer Walk and several kids races. All runners receive a medal or trophy, and all participating youth runners will receive teddy bears. The event also includes refreshments, live entertainment, a magic show, face painting, crafts and a visit from the Great Bear. For more information or to sign up, visit needhamtrack.org.
- Pricing: $16 for children ages 0-14 and $20 for adults ages 15 and up, through May 3 ($22 for registrations done May 4-6)