It’s Thursday, and the weekend is right around the corner. Patch has your back with a few fun things to do. Check our picks for the activities to hit and some places to explore. Here's what's happening in and around your town.
- Where/when: , 1471 Highland Ave., Needham, in the James Hugh Powers Hall; Friday, June 15 and Saturday, June 16 from 6:30-11 p.m. and Sunday, June 17 from 4:30-9 p.m.
- Why go: Thirty-six teen bands participating in the Needham-based Teen Band Program will perform at "Musically Minded," a concert benefiting brain tumor research at Mass General Hospital. Twelve different bands will be performing on each night.
- Pricing: Tickets will be sold at the door and cost $5 for students, $10 for seniors, $20 for adults (cash, check or charge).
- Where/when: Wells Office Park, 180 Wells Ave., Newton; Saturday, June 16, 8:30 a.m. to noon
- Why go: The Newton-Needham-Brookline PMC Kids Ride will bring together more than 500 children, ages 3 to 16, to ride a variety of distances starting at the Wells Office Park. There will be a 0.9 Park Circuit for younger cyclists to ride as many times as they would like within 2 hours, while tykes with trikes will have an even shorter, fun “Tot Loop,” designed just for their level. The 8 to 16 years may select from an 8-mile loop or a longer slightly more challenging 19.85-mile Teen Ride, which will travel through Needham and Dover with the Charles River School as a rest and refreshment stop. Registration begins at 8 a.m. To register online, visit http://kids.pmc.org. For more information, e-mail email@example.com or call 860-803-9772 or 800-WE-CYCLE.
- Pricing: $15 registration fee; suggested $25 fundraising minimum.
- Where/when: , 1132 Highland Ave., Needham; Saturday, June 16 at 2:30 p.m. and 7 p.m. and Sunday, June 17 at 2:30 p.m.
- Why go: The Fringe Theatre’s family-friendly show will be done in the style of British panto, which means lots of singing, dancing, laughing, a little candy throwing and a couple of starfish. Learn more about British panto on the Fringe Theatre website, and get a sampling of what to expect by viewing this video at my.brainshark.com.
- Pricing: $15 for adults, $10 for children; purchase online or at the door.
- Where/when: , Dedham Avenue and South Street, Needham; Saturday, June 16 at 4 p.m. to Sunday, June 17 at 7 a.m.
- Why go: Everyone is welcome and encouraged to attend the Relay For Life of Needham, Dedham and Wellesley to help fight back against cancer and celebrate and remember those touched by the disease. Check-in will take place from 3-5 p. m. The Survivor Reception is at 4 p.m., the Opening Ceremony at 5 p.m., the Fight Back Ceremony at 7 p.m., and the famous Luminaria Ceremony at 9 p.m. For more information, visit www.RelayForLife.org/NeedhamMA or contact Event Chair Sarah Lim at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Pricing: Volunteer/donation
- Where/when: , 23 Dedham Ave., Needham; Sunday, June 17, 1-5 p.m.
- Why go: Catch up with your neighbors, enjoy live music and shop from a variety of produce, plants and herbs, bread, baked goods, fish, beef, cheese, tea, artisan pieces and other items. Missed the grand opening? The market will continue every Sunday through October.
- Pricing: Free admission