The Newton-Wellesley Hospital Charitable Foundation has announced that its fifth annual HopeWalks event will be held on Sunday, September 28, 2014. HopeWalks is a 3.5 mile neighborhood walk to benefit cancer patients and their families by supporting the Integrative Support Services offered at the Vernon Cancer Center. These life-enhancing services for cancer patients optimize healing and comfort throughout treatment. Newton-Wellesley Hospital wants to continue making these services available to all patients, regardless of their ability to pay. Online registration is now open at www.nwh.org/hopewalks.
“HopeWalks has become such a wonderful community event, and we look forward to coming together once again for our 5th HopeWalks to benefit the Vernon Cancer Center,” said Joan Archer, president, Newton-Wellesley Hospital Charitable Foundation. “To see so many people walking in honor of those who have fought or are fighting cancer is extremely powerful. Supporting HopeWalks by walking or donating really does give hope to all our cancer patients and their families.”
HopeWalks route will begin and end at the hospital, and all ages are welcome.
Check-in will begin at 9:00 AM, with opening ceremonies starting at 9:30 AM.
The walk will then set-off at 10:00 AM. There will be a hospitality tent,
entertainment, food, and prizes. HopeWalks is a fundraiser, and while there is
no minimum donation amount required to participate, it is recommended that each
walker raise a minimum of $100.
online registration fee is $25 per walker. For those who register by paper or
on the day of the event, the registration fee is $35. Children 10 and under are
free. Online registration is now
available at www.nwh.org/hopewalks.
sponsorships at all levels are still available. To date, Corporate Sponsors
include Commonwealth Pathology Partners, The Village Bank, and Hanover
Insurance. For more information, please contact Maryann
Zschau at (617) 243-5915 or email@example.com.
About the Vernon Cancer
Center and the Integrative Support Services
The Joan and James Vernon Cancer Center at Newton-Wellesley Hospital offers patients an entire realm of cancer care, expert and innovative services and advanced treatment options. Our mission is to deliver comprehensive, compassionate care while providing a sense of hope and comfort to patients and their families. Our team provides personalized care in a private and comfortable setting for cancers such as breast, prostate, lung, colorectal and gynecological malignancies. In addition, benign and malignant blood disorders such as anemia, coagulation disorders, lymphoma, myeloma and leukemia are also treated.
at the Center work in collaboration with the Massachusetts General Hospital
Department of Radiation Oncology,
New England Hematology/Oncology Associates (NEHOA), and numerous departments at the
Hospital to provide for the specific needs of individual patients.
Integrative Support Services include:
· A patient navigator who provides support from the point of diagnosis through the entire continuum of care;
· Genetic testing and comprehensive risk assessment to identify family history of cancer;
· Access to a wide variety of clinical trials including research conducted in collaboration with Massachusetts General Hospital, Brigham and Women’s Hospital and Dana-Farber Partners Cancer Care;
· Nutritional support to help patients get adequate nutrition and meet dietary needs;
· Psychological and social services to help patients and their families deal with the emotional impact of the initial diagnosis and treatment;
· Therapeutic services such as massage, Reiki, yoga, and other relaxation methods;
· Pain management services tailored to deal with each patient’s unique diagnosis.