What's Open on Labor Day in Needham?
A quick guide to holiday closures around town.
Held on the first Monday in September, Labor Day is a federal holiday that celebrates the American labor movement and the "social and economic achievements of American workers," according to the U.S. Department of Labor website.
Today is the 130th Labor Day to be celebrated in the United States, with the first holiday marked by the Central Labor Union on Sept. 5, 1882, in New York City, according to the USDL website.
In 2012, the Labor Day holiday offers a much needed day of rest for many workers around the country—and that means that quite a few offices and businesses are closed.
Whether you're among the unlucky few who have to clock in today, or you'll be relaxing at home or enjoying the holiday with friends, Needham Patch has got your back with a list of what's closed today around town.
- Banks: Most banks in Needham are closed today; however, both TD Bank locations (at 1013 Great Plain Ave. and 95 Highland Ave.) will be open. While TD Bank will be open regular hours, customers should note that all transactions will be processed the following day.
- Bus Service (MBTA): The Needham bus line (Bus 59) will run on a Sunday schedule, with the last bus leaving Watertown Square toward Needham at 5:35 p.m. Most other buses and subway trains will run on a Sunday schedule. More information is available at mbta.com.
- Commuter Rail (MBTA): The Commuter Rail's Needham Line will not operate today. Service will resume on Tuesday. All other Commuter Rail lines will either run on a Sunday schedule or will not be in operation. Check mbta.com for details.
- County Offices: All Norfolk County offices are closed today.
- Grocery Stores: Roche Bros. will be open its regular hours today.
- Library: The Needham Free Public Library was closed all weekend and will remain closed today. It will reopen on Tuesday.
- Post Office: The U.S. post offices on Great Plain Avenue and Highland Avenue are both closed today.
- Schools: Needham Public Schools are closed today, on summer break. School is back in session on Wednesday, Sept. 5.
- Senior Center: Both the Council on Aging office and the Stephen Palmer Senior Center are closed. Activities will resume on Tuesday.
- State Offices: All Massachusetts state offices are closed today.
- Town of Needham Offices: Need to drop off a bill, register to vote or apply for a building permit? Not today. All town offices at Town Hall, the Public Services Administration Building and other locations are closed.
See something else that's not open today? Know a tricky traffic area to avoid? Share it in the comments or via Twitter to @NeedhamPatch.