What's Closed on Memorial Day?
A look at which offices and other locations are taking a holiday today.
Memorial Day, recognized on the last Monday in May, is a day to remember the men and women who served their country as members of the United States military and have since died, whether in battle or after coming home.
In Needham, there are several opportunities for residents to participate in the holiday, with ceremonies planned at veterans’ memorials throughout town starting at 6:50 a.m. with a Mass at St. Joseph’s and concluding around noon with a ceremony at Memorial Park. See a complete schedule of times and locations here.
Anyone looking to get some errands done before or after the ceremonies will likely find offices, shops and businesses closed for the day, as Memorial Day is a federal holiday. Here’s a look at a few of the places that are closed today.
- Banks: Banks are closed today.
- County Offices: All Norfolk County offices are closed today.
- Library: The Needham Free Public Library will be closed today. It will reopen for its usual hours at 9 a.m. on Tuesday, May 29.
- MBTA Service: The Commuter Rail's Needham Line will not operate today. The Needham bus line will run on a Sunday schedule. Most other Commuter Rail lines, buses and subway trains will run on a Sunday schedule. More information is available at mbta.com.
- Post Office: The U.S. post offices on Great Plain Avenue and Highland Avenue are both closed today.
- Schools: Needham Public Schools are closed today. Classes will resume on Tuesday, May 29.
- Senior Center: Both the Council on Aging office and the Stephen Palmer Senior Center are closed. Activities will resume on Tuesday, May 29.
- State Offices: All Massachusetts state offices are closed today.
- Town of Needham Offices: Need to drop off a bill, register to vote or apply for a building permit? Not today. All town offices at Town Hall, the Public Services Administration Building and other locations are closed.
See something else that's not open today, or know about a great Memorial Day deal around town? Share it in the comments or via Twitter to @NeedhamPatch.