What's Closed on Independence Day?
Town offices and the senior center are among the places in Needham that won't be open on July 4.
Happy 4th of July!
Whether you're heading into Boston for the big show, staying here in Needham for the parade and a day full of activities or just hanging out at home with some burgers and a cold drink, Patch wishes you a happy holiday.
However you spend the day, there are some things you won't be doing. The 4th of July is a federal holiday, which means many places are closed. Before you brave the traffic, check out this quick list of closures:
- Banks: Banks are closed today.
- Bus Service (MBTA): The Needham bus line (Bus 59) will run on a Sunday schedule, with the last bus leaving Watertown Square toward Needham at 5:35 p.m. Most other Commuter Rail lines, buses and subway trains will run on a Sunday schedule. More information is available at mbta.com. Remember: New fares took effect July 1.
- Commuter Rail (MBTA): The Commuter Rail's Needham Line will run on a Saturday schedule, with the last train leaving South Station at around 11:45 p.m. to allow visitors to enjoy the fireworks in Boston if they so choose. Remember: New fares took effect July 1.
- County Offices: All Norfolk County offices are closed today.
- Grocery Stores: The Sudbury Farms in Needham will be closed on July 4. All other Sudbury Farms and Roche Bros. stores will be open 8 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Library: The Needham Free Public Library will be closed today. The library will remain closed until July 9 while flooring is being replaced.
- Post Office: The U.S. post offices on Great Plain Avenue and Highland Avenue are both closed today.
- Schools: Needham Public Schools are closed today, on summer break.
- Senior Center: Both the Council on Aging office and the Stephen Palmer Senior Center are closed. Activities will resume on Thursday, July 5.
- State Offices: All Massachusetts state offices are closed today.
- Town of Needham Offices: Need to drop off a bill, register to vote or apply for a building permit? Not today. All town offices at Town Hall, the Public Services Administration Building and other locations are closed.
See something else that's not open today? Know a tricky traffic area to avoid? Share it in the comments or via Twitter to @NeedhamPatch.