Week in Review: A Busy Week for Aly Raisman
A look at some of the top stories last week on Needham Patch.
Life gets busy, and Patch certainly understands that. So with that in mind, here are a few stories you might have missed on Needham Patch this week:
- Needham Gymnast Qualifies For Olympic Finals, Helps Team Win Gold—Aly Raisman had a busy week, first qualifying for the all-around finals on Sunday, July 29 and then contributing to the team gold medal on Tuesday. On Thursday, Raisman competed for the all-around and finished just short of the bronze medal. Follow all of Raisman’s Olympics action by visiting her topic page on Needham Patch or checking out this collection of Tweets, news stories, photos and more from around the Web.
- Needham Rallies For Hometown Olympic Hero [PHOTOS]—Hundreds of Needhamites gathered at Town Hall Thursday morning to "Rally for Aly," at an event set up to show support for local gymnast Aly Raisman as she competed in the finals of the all-around gymnastics competition at the 2012 Olympic Games in London.
- Norton Man Charged in Needham Pedestrian's Death—A Norton man was charged in Sunday morning motor vehicle accident on Route 24 that resulted in the death of a 29-year-old Needham man.
- Video of Aly Raisman's Parents Goes Viral—Needham residents Lynn and Rick Raisman became Web celebrities overnight thanks to a video clip that aired on NBC on Sunday evening and spread like wildfire on Twitter, Facebook and other websites early this week.
- Needham Officials Submit Concerns to NSTAR—A letter Needham officials submitted to NSTAR asks that the electric company "make a good faith effort" to ensure that every property owner has adequate notice about the tree removal work that will be done in the area in the coming weeks.
- Needham Softball Players Have Winning Season—Softball players in Needham have had a great season this summer, bringing home several wins recently in each of their respective leagues.
- Meet the Artist…Throughout the summer, Needham Patch is profiling some of the artists behind the Needham Merchants Association's "A Chair To Remember" project. This week, we chatted with Amber Crossman, whose dragon-themed chair can be seen at Needham House of Pizza, and Sundy Johnson, whose colorful chair can be seen at Joel's Confections.
- 2012 Back to School: Important Dates For Needham Parents—Start off your school year right by knowing when all the important dates are—from early releases to school vacations to the last day of school. Patch has got you covered with this handy summary of the Needham Public Schools' 2012-13 academic calendar.
- 2012 Back to School: Fall Sports Dates, Deadlines—It's August, which means Needham High School fall sports will be starting up soon. Varsity and JV football and dance team both begin on Monday, Aug. 20, while cheerleading begins on Tuesday, Aug. 21. Freshman football and all other fall sports begin on Thursday, Aug. 23.
- Where Do Drivers Speed Most in Needham? Tell us in the comments section which streets in town you think are the most dangerous and might need a raised section, another stop sign, more crosswalks or a difference measure to slow down traffic. Then next week, we'll run a poll based on the top five answers we received in the callout.
Did we miss something? Send news tips, comments and suggestions to Becca.Manning@patch.com.