Ways to Celebrate Father's Day in Needham
This week's Patch Picks provides some ideas for honoring Dad on his big day, Sunday, June 19.
Dad. Whether you think of him as a protector, an adviser, a teacher, a chauffeur, Mr. Fix-It, your best buddy or just “That Guy Who Embarrassed Me a Lot in High School,” chances are you owe him big. Well, it’s Father’s Day on Sunday, June 19, and now’s your chance to show him that appreciation (although, if he’s a Bruins fan, he may not need another gift for the rest of the year). Looking for the perfect way to say “Thanks”? This week’s Patch Picks offers a few ideas, as suggested by some of our readers.
• Blue on Highland: The Needham restaurant is teaming up with New England Country Club in Bellingham to offer dads “the ultimate Father’s Day gift.” Pops who dine at Blue on Highland on Sunday, June 19 from 11:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. will receive a gift certificate for a free round of golf plus two free appetizers at the country club's restaurant, Egan’s Pub. Also part of the gift is a personalized Blue on Highland golf ball, which Dad can save for the game or try on a special putting green set up in the restaurant’s lounge.
• Wellesley Booksmith: Next door in Wellesley, the bookstore will be hosting baseball expert Harvey Frommer, who will sign copies of his book, “Remembering Fenway Park: An Oral and Narrative History of the Home of the Boston Red Sox,” from 2:00-4:00 p.m. on Saturday, June 18. Pick up a book in advance to give to Dad on Sunday, or bring him along so he can talk shop with Frommer.
• Wellesley Booksmith, Part 2: Also on Saturday, the Wellesley book store will host a special storytime at 10:30 a.m. centered around the children’s book “Blue Ribbon Dad” by Beth Glass. Make it a bonding experience for Dad and kids or give Dad the morning off and bring back a special blue ribbon craft for him.
• Wingate at Needham: Be sure to sign your senior dad up for the free Happy Father’s Day Breakfast on Monday, June 20, at Wingate at Needham. Organized in association with the Friends of the Needham Elderly, the breakfast is open to all senior dads and will feature pancakes, sausage, scrambled eggs, biscuits and home fries. Sign-up is required; call 781-455-7555.
• Dedham Square Country Market: Is your dad a great chef? Take him to this nearby farmers market to pick out some great local products to add to his kitchen, or give him the night off and bring home something to whip up in his honor. The weekly market is open from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. on Sunday, June 19.