This Weekend in Needham: Pumpkins, a Haunted House and Halloween Spooktacular at the Y
Patch offers a few ideas for what to do in the area this Saturday and Sunday, Oct. 27-28.
It’s Thursday, and the weekend is right around the corner. Patch has your back with a few fun things to do. Check our picks for the activities to hit and some places to explore. Here's what's happening in and around your town.
- Where: Needham High School, 609 Webster St., Needham
- When: Saturday, Oct. 27, 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Why go: Get an early start on your holiday shopping at Needham High School’s 31st annual juried craft fair. Explore more than 100 selected exhibitors and see an extensive array of fashions, gifts, home goods, body products and more. The event will also feature a silent auction, bake sale and concession stand. The silent auction will feature nearly 200 items to bid on from local businesses as well as craft items.
- Cost: $6 admission, $5 for seniors and free for children under 13
- Where: Avery Crossings Assisted Living, 110 West St., Needham
- When: Saturday, Oct. 27, 2-4 p.m.
- Why go: Enjoy music, crafts, refreshments and more at this special farmers market sponsored by the Needham Community Farm and hosted by Avery Crossings.
- Cost: Free
- Where: The Congregational Church of Needham, 1154 Great Plain Ave., Needham
- When: Saturday, Oct. 27, 5-8 p.m.
- Why go: It’s fun, it’s not too scary and it wouldn’t be Halloween in Needham without it! The Haunted House at The Congregational Church of Needham this year will feature a Haunted Hollywood theme sure to please all ages. Walk down the Haunted Red Carpet and Walk of Fame, run into scary Hollywood movie stars, and visit a Haunted film studio and production set. A Hollywood After Party with a bouncy house, carnival games and food will also be available for fun without the scares.
- Cost: $5 per person suggested donation. Tie-dyed pillowcases will also be on sale to use as candy bags for $5 each.
- Benefits: All proceeds help fund the Senior High Youth Group’s summer mission trip to Vermont to rebuild houses damaged from Hurricane Irene.
- Where: Carter Memorial United Methodist Church, 800 Highland Ave., Needham
- When: Saturday, Oct. 27 from 1-3 p.m.
- Why go: Bring the family to pick up a pumpkin or two at Carter Memorial Church’s Pumpkin Patch (proceeds support church missions) and make a Halloween-themed craft while you’re there.
- Cost: Free activities; pumpkins start at $3
Needham Farmers Market Pumpkinfest
- Where: First Parish in Needham, Unitarian Universalist, 23 Dedham Ave., Needham
- When: Sunday, Oct. 28 from 1-5 p.m.
- Why go: Check out the latest harvest from area farms and gardeners and catch up with your neighbors at the weekly Needham Farmers Market. This final market of the season will feature a special Pumpkin Fest with a jack-o-lantern contest from 2-3 p.m. Bring your creation and win in one of three categories: scariest, most interesting and ages 11 and younger. Costumes are encouraged. The winners will receive $15 coupons. Also, enjoy music by The Great Complainers and check out pieces by artisans Ariel Shoemaker and Susan Goldman. Learn more at www.needhamfarmersmarket.org.
- Cost: Free admission; items for sale
- Where: YMCA, 863 Great Plain Ave. Needham
- When: Sunday, Oct. 28, 3-6 p.m.
- Why go: Put on your Halloween costume and head over to the Charles River YMCA’s Great Plain location for a “ghoulishly good time.” Watch the Charles River Y swim team practice in the underwater haunted house, create your own fun healthy treats, play games and enjoy much more.
- Cost: Free
Don’t see your event here? Make sure to add it to the Needham Patch calendar so we can help spread the news! Log in to your free account (or sign up now), click on “Events” in the blue navigation bar and then click “Add an Event.” Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.