Records Broken at Needham Youth Classic
Teams from all over the northeast competed at the Needham Track Club's 22nd annual event.
Seventeen records were broken last weekend when young athletes from around the northeast and as far west as Illinois converged at DeFazio Park for the Needham Track Club's 22nd annual Needham Youth Classic open track meet. The event, which began Friday, July 15 and continued on Saturday, July 16, featured a dozen running events ranging in distance from 50 to 3,000 meters and eight field events.
A group of Saugus athletes won first place in the team competition, while the Needham team finished in fourth place. See complete results on the Needham Track Club Web site, needhamtrack.org.
The meet's top athletes included:
- Age 7-8: Jeffrey Davis of Bristol CT and Maya Whitcomb of Lexington
- Age 9-10: Evan Anderson of Needham Track Club and Alexis Daly of Cambridge Jets
- Age 11-12: Shayne Simpson of Providence Cobras and Cassidy Palmer of Central CT Jaguars
- Age 13-14: Tristan Crowell of Nitehawks SC and Emma Fitzgerald of Nitehawks SC
- Age 15-16: Jared DeLane of Central CT Jaguars and Mary Dixon of Saugus Sachems