Five Things You Need to Know Today: July 1
Double feature at the library and an outdoor community picnic and concert.
"Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. Mostly sunny: We could see some rain showers today, mainly after noon, but the rest of the day will be mostly sunny with a high around 79 degrees, according to the National Weather Service. The evening will be partly cloudy with a light wind and a low around 59 degrees.
2. Summer of the sequels: The Needham Free Public Library will kick off its Summer of the Sequels Movie Festival with a free double feature today starting at 2:00 p.m. First, watch “Tarzan II: The Legend Begins,” which is rated G and runs 72 minutes. After the movie, there will be a 10-minute break, and then the library will show “Lion King II: Simba’s Pride,” rated G, running 81 minutes. The movie festival will continue with double features on July 22 and other Fridays throughout the summer.
3. Patriotic picnic: Needham’s Fourth of July celebration will kick off tonight with a family picnic at Memorial Park followed by the Red, White and Blue Musical Concert. Bring dinner or pick up a meal at a local restaurant (a list of participating businesses is available on the Needham 300 Web site) and come over to the park, where tables will be set up in the parking lot. At 6:30 p.m., the Haverhill Sons of Italy Drum and Bugle Corps will perform on a stage set up on Memorial Field. They will be followed by the Georgia Brass Band (led by former Needhamite Joe Johnson) from 7:00-8:00 p.m., with Trooper Dan and his wife Mary Colarusso performing from 8:00-9:00 p.m.
4. Cheers! After the concert, raise a glass with friends at the Highlandville Tavern, a temporary watering hole set up at the Village Club. The tavern will be open from 8:00-11:30 p.m. both today and Saturday.
5. New to Needham? Get to know your neighbors by attending one of the social events organized by The Newcomers Club of Needham. For more information, contact the club by e-mail.