Five Things to Do This Weekend: Sept. 10-11
Celebrate Needham's 300th with block parties, concert; remember 9/11 at Sunday ceremony.
It’s Thursday, and the weekend is right around the corner. Patch has your back with a few fun things to do. Check our picks for the activities to hit and some places to explore. Here's what's happening in and around your town.
- Where/when: More than 80 locations throughout Needham; Saturday, Sept. 10, various times from 1:00-10:00 p.m.
- Why go: Celebrate Needham’s 300th birthday among your neighbors at block parties planned throughout town on Saturday, Sept. 10. See partial lists here and here of the times and locations of more than 80 events being organized or ask around to find a party near you. The Needham 300 town criers will be dropping by many of the parties to say hello.
- Pricing: Free; ask your neighbors about what to bring
- Where/when: Memorial Park, 92 Rosemary St.; Saturday, Sept. 10 at 7:00 p.m.
- Why go: After enjoying your neighborhood block party, or in between, head over to Memorial Park for a concert by the U.S. Air Force Band of Liberty, which will perform a range of music from the traditions of Glenn Miller, Count Basie and Duke Ellington to more contemporary jazz-pop.
- Pricing: The concert is free to all and sponsored by The Needham Exchange Club, Kertzman & Weil, LLP, Muzi Ford/Muzi Chevrolet and ARS Services Inc.
3. Downtown Needham Sidewalk Sales
- Where/when: Various businesses in downtown Needham; Saturday, Sept. 10, all day
- Why go: Shop local this weekend and take advantage of some great deals around town, as several downtown businesses are hosting sidewalk sales. Come see the new fall yarns at Black Sheep Knitting Co., save 20-60 percent on flowers, candles and other items from Perennial Designs and shop sales at Joel’s Gifts and Confections, the dotted i and other locations. Find a great deal? Tell us about it in the comments below.
- Pricing: Depends on what you purchase
- Where/when: Memorial Park, 92 Rosemary St.; Sunday, Sept. 11 at 5:00 p.m.
- Why go: Join the Needham Clergy Association, town leaders and neighbors in remembering the 10th anniversary of 9/11 during a ceremony at Memorial Park. The program will feature a service of remembrance and a renewed call for peace entitled “Let There Be Peace on Earth” that will include the reading of names of local and Massachusetts residents who died on Sept. 11, 2001. The Needham Interfaith Choir will also perform.
- Pricing: Free and open to all
- Where/when: Wellesley College, 106 Central St., Wellesley (in The Ruth Nagel Jones Theatre); Saturday, Sept. 10 and Sunday, Sept. 11 at 7:00 p.m.
- Why go: In honor of the 10th anniversary of 9/11, Wellesley Summer Theatre is presenting “The Guys,” a play about a journalist who helps a fire chief write eulogies for his lost men.
- Pricing: Donations appreciated