Five Things to Do This Weekend: Jan. 14-15
A basketball free-throw contest, a multicultural music event and a youth benefit concert.
It’s Thursday, and the weekend is right around the corner. Patch has your back with a few fun things to do. Check our picks for the activities to hit and some places to explore. Here's what's happening in and around your town.
- Where/When: St. Joseph's Parish Center gym, 110 May St.; Saturday, Jan. 14, 8:00 a.m. to noon
- Why go: Boys and girls ages 10-14 can come show off their basketball skills during a free-throw contest sponsored by the Fr. Dan Kennedy Knights of Columbus Needham Council 1611. Registration will begin at 8:00 a.m. and the event will run until noon.
- Pricing: Free
- Where/When: Needham Free Public Library, 1139 Highland Ave.; Saturday, Jan. 14, 10:30 a.m.
- Why go: Ricardo Frota’s dramatic 45-minute performance inspires children and parents to absorb the rhythms, sounds and feelings of the Brazilian rainforest. Frota incorporates African, South American, Native American and Brazilian music into an interactive experience for people of all ages. His performances highlight the use of traditional rhythm instruments as well as instruments made of recycled and natural-found objects.
- Pricing: Free and sponsored by the Library Foundation of Needham
- Where/When: Babson Skating Center, 150 Great Plain Ave., Wellesley; Saturday, Jan. 14, 8:45 p.m.
- Why go: Come cheer on the Needham High School Rockets as they take on Braintree High School on home ice at Babson College.
- Pricing: Gate fee
- Where/When: DeFazio Park, Dedham Ave & South St.; Sunday, Jan. 8, 2:30-4:00 p.m.
- Why go: Every Sunday afternoon, the Needham Frisbee Club hosts an ultimate Frisbee game at DeFazio Park, on the synthetic fields. The gathering is free and informal, and new participants are welcome at any time. They play in sun, rain and even snow. For more information, email Bill Gallagher or visit needhamfrisbeeclub.com.
- Pricing: Free
- Where/When: Village Club, 83 Morton St., Sunday, Jan. 15, 6:00 p.m.
- Why go: Come hear the talents of local youth and support a great cause, the Dup15q Alliance. This benefit concert will feature 16 amazing youth bands, and refreshments will be served.
- Pricing: Tickets $20 adults, $10 seniors, $5 students, available at the door.