5 Things You Need To Know Today: Sept. 6
Voters will head to the polls for the State Primary, and Needham kindergartners will start class.
“Five Things You Need to Know Today” is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. Partly sunny: Today will be partly sunny, according to the National Weather Service. High: 81, Low: 65.
2. Vote today! Today is the Massachusetts State Primary, and polls in Needham will be open from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. Remember: Residents in precincts C and D should go to High Rock School to vote; their polling location will be moved back to Newman for the Nov. 6 election. Not sure who’s on the ballot? Check out Patch’s guide to the State Primary for Needham voters.
3. Support education: After you’ve cast your vote in the primary, log on to www.facebook.com/chasecommunitygiving and vote for the Needham Education Foundation in the Chase Community Giving contest, to help them win up to $250,000 for educational programs here in Needham. Voting is open from Sept. 6-19, and winners will be based on the number of votes each charity receives.
4. First day for kindergartners: Kindergartners at Broadmeadow, Eliot, Mitchell and Newman schools start class today. Kindergartners at Hillside and preschoolers at all elementary schools will start class on Friday. Needham Public Schools’ Kindergarten After-School Enrichment program also begins on Friday. Check out Patch’s guide to other important dates for the 2012-13 school year.
5. Babysitting training: Needham Youth Services is offering a three-day babysitting course for new babysitters or for those with limited experience looking for a refresher class. Participants must be in the sixth grade and at least 11 years old. Four sessions are being offered this fall, beginning Oct. 11. Learn more at www.needhamma.gov/youth/babysitting.