5 Things You Need To Know Today: Oct. 9
Flu shots are available at Town Hall, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
“Five Things You Need to Know Today” is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. Rain possible: Today will be cloudy with a chance of rain throughout the day and into the evening before 11 p.m., according to the National Weather Service. High: 57, Low: 45. Chance of precipitation: 50 percent.
2. Flu clinic: The Needham Public Health Department is offering seasonal flu shots for local residents ages 18 and older today from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. in Powers Hall. No appointment is necessary, but residents should bring their insurance or Medicare cards with them to the clinic. The next clinic will be held on Oct. 18.
3. Test sign-ups: PSAT registration for Needham High School juniors will take place Oct. 9-12 from 2:40-3:15 p.m. in the high school cafeteria. Students must bring a $31 check made out to Needham High School. The test will take place on Saturday, Oct. 20.
4. Free meal: Every Tuesday at 5:30 p.m., Carter Memorial United Methodist Church offers a free community meal that is “open to anyone in need of a hot meal with friends who care.” Learn more about the meal, or how you can help with it, at carterumc.org or by calling the church at 781-444-2460.
5. Pie-baking contest: Volante Farms is holding its annual Apple Pie Baking Contest on Sunday, Oct. 14 at noon. Amateur bakers interested in challenging their neighbors for bragging rights and valuable gift cards should register with cashiers at the farm or online. Rules are also available at the website. Audience participation is encouraged, and the leftovers will be available for tasting after judging and awards.