5 Things You Need To Know Today: Oct. 3
Needham students, parents and teachers are encouraged to hit the streets today as part of International Walk to School Day.
“Five Things You Need to Know Today” is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. Rain possible: Today will be cloudy with showers possible throughout the day, according to the National Weather Service. The chance of rain will continue into the evening. High: 71, Low: 60. Chance of precipitation: 40-50 percent.
2. Walk to school: Today is International Walk to School Day, and Needham Public Schools will be joining schools across the United States and in 40 other countries to celebrate by encouraging families, teachers and other school staff to walk to school this morning. Walk to School Day serves to highlight the importance of creating safer routes for walking and biking and of increasing physical activity among children. Learn more at www.walktoschool.org.
3. Art history lesson: Take a closer look at America’s art history during a special presentation today at 10:30 a.m. at Avery Crossings. The talk, which is sponsored by the Needham Council on Aging, is free and open to the community. It will focus on the 1950s to 1990s. See what else is going on at the Senior Center this month in Associate Director Sherry Jackson’s weekly update.
4. Go green for the PTC: Green Needham and Next Step Living will have a table at tonight’s Back-to-School event at Pollard Middle School, from 6:30-8 p.m. Parents can ask questions and sign up for a free home energy assessment and help Pollard PTC at the same time—for every family that signs up and completes the assessment, Next Step Living will donate $10 to the PTC. Learn more about home energy assessments on Green Needham’s website.
5. Patch 101: Needham Patch is teaming up with the Newton Needham Chamber of Commerce for a special "Meet the Press" event this Friday, Oct. 5, from 8:30-10 a.m. at Walker School. This is the first in a new series designed to help Chamber members learn how to work with local media. At this breakfast event, participants can meet Needham Patch staff and learn how to pitch a story, use the free events calendar and announcements tab, blog and have your business listed in the directory. Cost is $5 for Chamber members and $10 for non-members. Register online at nnchamber.com.