5 Things You Need to Know Today: May 28
Celebrate Memorial Day with town events.
“Five Things You Need to Know Today” is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. Cloudy with a chance of rain: Scattered showers and thunderstorms are in the forecast for this Memorial Day, with the rest of the day mostly cloudy and a high near 76 degrees, according to the National Weather Service. A possibility of rain and storms will continue into the evening, with a 40 percent chance throughout the day. The evening low will be around 60.
2. Memorial Day: Today is Memorial Day, and the town of Needham will celebrate the lives of those men and women who have served in the military with a series of events beginning with a 6:50 a.m. Mass at St. Joseph. See a full schedule here. Also, take note: All town, state and federal offices, as well as banks and other buildings will be closed today to observe the holiday.
3. Soccer tourney continues: The Needham Soccer Club’s 36th annual Memorial Day Tournament and Massachusetts Premier Soccer College Showcase will continue today on various fields in Needham and surrounding towns. The Needham Invitational features hundreds of teams from both premier and town leagues. For more information, including schedules and participating teams, visit needhamsoccer.com.
4. New passes available: The Needham Free Public Library has expanded its museum pass program to include the Boston Harbor Island Ferries, which departs from Boston’s Long Wharf, and the Fairbanks House located in nearby Dedham. The Boston Harbor island pass allows library members to purchase one ferry ticket and to receive a second one free with a limit of two free tickets per member per day. The library’s pass to Fairbanks House allows for two free admissions per usage. For information, call the library at 781-455-7559.
5. Committee members sought: The Needham Board of Selectmen recently voted to create an ad hoc "super committee” consisting of all five members of the Solid Waste Advisory Committee and two additional members with financial and management experience, to conduct a financial sustainability study of the Recycling and Transfer Station. Interested Needham residents should submit a letter of interest to the Office of the Town Manager by June 8. Letters can be sent to: Office of the Town Manager, 1471 Highland Ave., Needham, MA 02492; faxed to 781-449-4569; or e-mailed to email@example.com.