5 Things You Need To Know Today: May 23
Olin College professor Caitrin Lynch will talk about her latest book at the library.
“Five Things You Need to Know Today” is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. Showers and T-storms: There is a chance of rain, with thunderstorms possible after noon today. The rest of the day will be mostly cloudy with a high near 77 degrees, according to the National Weather Service. More showers and thunderstorms could arrive this evening, with storms possible before 9 p.m. and a slight chance of showers from 9 p.m. on. The evening low will be around 58 degrees.
2. Author talk: Olin College professor Caitrin Lynch will be at the Needham Free Public Library tonight at 7:30 p.m. to discuss her latest book, "Retirement on the Line: Age, Work and Value in an American Factory." The book explores Vita Needle Company of Needham’s commitment to an elderly workforce and what it means for the employer, the workers, the community and society. This program is free and open to all. Books will be available for purchase and autographing.
3. For the kids: Children ages 5 and under can drop by the Needham Free Public Library today at 10 a.m. for free stories, music and movement. Also today, Temple Aliyah’s Gan Aliyah Baby & Me Play Group will meet from 11 a.m. to noon. The free group meets Wednesdays at the temple, and all are welcome.
4. Vote for the best story: Today through May 30, visit the YMCA of Greater Boston Facebook page and “like” your favorite Mother’s Day story posted there. The story with the most likes will win, and the winning mom will receive a “Relax and Renew” package from the Y.
5. Join a town committee: Needham residents are needed to fill vacancies on several town committees, including the Community Preservation, Conservation and Human Rights committees, Council on Aging board and others. For more information about these committee assignments, visit the town’s website at needhamma.gov/committeevacancy or contact the selectmen’s office by e-mail at email@example.com or call 781-455-7500. Applications can be filed online at needhamma.gov/committeeform or at the selectmen’s office at Town Hall.