5 Things You Need To Know Today: June 7
Needham Public Schools will let out early, and the Needham Free Public Library Annual Meeting will be held tonight.
“Five Things You Need to Know Today” is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. Showers and T-storms: More rain is possible today, with a chance of thunderstorms after noon, according to the National Weather Service. The rest of the day will be partly sunny with a high near 71 degrees and a low around 50. There is a slight chance of more showers in the evening before 10 p.m.
2. Early release: Needham Public Schools will let out early today so staff can participate in professional development. The early release times for each school in the district are as follows:
- High Rock School—11:20 a.m.
- Pollard Middle School—11:30 a.m.
- Needham High School—11:40 a.m.
- Broadmeadow Elementary School—12:05 p.m.
- Eliot Elementary School—12:05 p.m.
- Hillside Elementary School—12:05 p.m.
- Mitchell Elementary School—12:05 p.m.
- Newman Elementary School—12:30 p.m.
3. Library meeting and talk: Come to the Needham Free Public Library tonight at 7 p.m. for the library's Annual Meeting and stay for a talk at 7:30 p.m. by author James D. Livingston, PhD. He will talk about his book, "Rising Force: The Magic of Magnetic Levitation," which explores the magic in conquering gravity, with topics such as flying frogs, levitated sumo wrestlers, magnetic bearings in blood pumps and the latest news of high-speed maglev trains. This program is free, and all are invited.
4. Girls tennis semifinals: The No. 2 Needham High School girls tennis team will face Notre Dame Academy today at 3:45 p.m. at the high school tennis courts.
5. Student meds: Parents of students in the Needham Public Schools are reminded that any student medications kept in the health office should be picked up before the last day of school on June 19. Contact the health office to make arrangements for pick-up. Any medication not picked up by noon on June 19 will be discarded.