5 Things You Need To Know Today: June 6
The League of Women Voters of Needham will host a speaker from MassVOTE at their Annual Meeting tonight.
“Five Things You Need to Know Today” is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. More rain: As seems to be the pattern this week (and which will continue up through Friday), there is a chance of showers today, mainly after 8 a.m., with the rest of the day mostly cloudy, according to the National Weather Service. The chance for rain will last into the evening, mainly before 10 p.m. The high will be around 65 degrees and the low around 48.
2. LAX playoffs: The top-seeded Needham High School girls lacrosse team will play in the MIAA Division 1 South Semifinal tonight at 6 p.m. at Memorial Field. Admission costs $5 for students and senior citizens and $7 for adults. Children age 6 and under get in free. Also tonight, the sixth-seeded NHS boys lacrosse team will play No. 3 Masconomet on the opponents' home turf in Topsfield at 4 p.m., in the MIAA Division 1 East Quarterfinal.
3. LVW Meeting: Cheryl Clyburn Crawford, co-director of MassVOTE, will attend tonight’s Annual Meeting of the League of Women Voters of Needham to speak on "Civic Engagement: Despite the Progress, Challenges Remain." She will discuss what is at stake in 2012 and why voters must remain engaged. LWV-Needham members, guests and the public are welcome to attend the meeting, which will be held at the Needham Free Public Library. A reception will be held from 6:30-7:15 p.m. Crawford will speak from 7:15-8 p.m., and the LWV-Needham annual business meeting will follow.
4. Memorial potluck: First Parish in Needham will host the annual vegetarian potluck in memory of Laurie Ann Gerber tonight at 6 p.m., followed by a movie, "3 Steps to Incredible Health with Joel Fuhrman, MD." Please bring a vegetarian dish that will feed four to six people. This event is free and open to the public. The hour-long presentation will addresses the crisis of obesity, diabetes and other chronic diseases that Americans face. A discussion period will follow the movie. For more information or to make reservations, contact Jeanne or Joe Gerber at 781-444-8461.
5. Graduation coverage: Congratulations to the Needham High School Class of 2012 on their graduation this week and all their accomplishments! In case you missed it, check out graduation coverage, including: our photo gallery featuring more than 50 photos from the graduation ceremony held on Monday; an article about what was said at the ceremony; and a list of seniors who won scholarships and awards.