5 Things You Need To Know Today: June 28
Drop by the library for puppets, crafts and Toddler Movies.
“Five Things You Need to Know Today” is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. Mostly sunny: Expect mostly sunny skies and a high near 86 degrees today, according to the National Weather Service. The day will be windy, with gusts between 8 and 11 miles per hour and as high as 21 mph. Tonight will be mostly clear with a low around 65 degrees.
2. Fun for the kids: There is plenty to do today with the kids at the Needham Free Public Library. First, at 11 a.m., bring the little ones over for Toddler Movies, a half-hour program in which storybook favorites are brought to life on the big screen. At 4 p.m., ages 2-6 can enjoy 45 minutes of craft time, with a theme of “Dream BIG.” And tonight at 7 p.m., Vermont-based PuppeTree will present a puppet version of the story “Caps for Sale.” All programs are free, and there is no need to sign up. For information, call the library at 781-455-7559.
3. Go swimming: After a few days of rain, the skies should be clear today, and things will start to heat up again. Looking to cool off and/or enjoy the sun? Bring the family to Rosemary Pool, which is open 12:30-7:45 p.m. Daily admission is $6 per person for Needham residents ($3 after 6 p.m.) or $8 for non-residents ($4 after 6 p.m.), with a half-price rate for seniors. Season passes are also available.
4. Dog park meeting: The Needham Dog Park Committee will meet tonight from 7-8:30 p.m. at Prudential Advantage Real Estate. The group is working to bring an off-leash dog park to Needham. Learn more about their efforts at needhamdogpark.org.
5. Fireworks begin: Needham’s Fourth of July activities don’t start until July 3, but the celebration has already begun in some towns. Tonight, Somerville will host live entertainment and fireworks beginning around 9:15 p.m. Check out Patch’s list of other fireworks planned in the area and be sure to mark your calendar for Needham’s events. Heading into Boston? Make sure you know about all the street closures and parking rules in effect through the weekend, or take the Commuter Rail’s Needham Line—the final Saturday service will run June 30.