5 Things You Need To Know Today: June 27
Come to the library to meet Clifford the Big Red Dog at 10 a.m. or 4 p.m.
“Five Things You Need to Know Today” is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. Mostly cloudy: Today will be mostly cloudy with a high near 77 degrees and a chance of showers between 1 and 4 p.m., according to the National Weather Service. The evening low will be around 59.
2. Meet Clifford! Bring your camera and come meet your favorite storybook friend, Clifford the Big Red Dog, at the Needham Free Public Library today during one of two sessions scheduled for 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. Stories will be read with the children followed by a photo opportunity with Clifford.
3. Track meet: The Needham Track Club’s Team Invitational Meet is set for today between 4 and 8 p.m. at DeFazio Park. The annual event, which began in the 1990s, is a friendly competition among youth teams from around the area such as the Needham, Quincy and Waltham track clubs. For more information about the event or about the Needham Track Club’s summer program, visit needhamtrack.org.
4. Library closes in 3 days: Residents should note that the Needham Free Public Library will be closed to the public beginning Saturday, June 30 through Monday, July 9 while replacement flooring is being installed on two floors. No library materials can be returned during this time, and the drop-off box will be inaccessible. Patrons should suspend “holds” on any requested items or change the pickup location to a nearby library such as Wellesley, Dover, Westwood, Dedham or Newton. Fines during the “black-out” dates of June 30 through July 9 will not accrue for any outstanding library materials. Questions? Call the library at 781-455-7559.
5. Best of Needham: There is still time to nominate your favorite businesses in Needham for our summer Readers’ Choice program, which asks readers to highlight great places in 25 different categories, now though July 9. As of early this week, there were no nominations yet for the following topics: Best Iced Coffee, Best Vegan/Vegetarian Fare, Best Pediatrician, Best Dry Cleaner, Best Home Repairman, Best Landscaper/Lawn Service, Best Place to Work Remotely (Place with WiFi), Best Place to Take a Walk and Best Place to Take an Art Class. Others that have very few nods: Best Bakery, Best Place to Pick Up Milk and Bread, Best Preschool, Best Bank and Best Place to Get an Oil Change. Help get the great places around town the recognition they deserve—add your picks in the comments section for each category.