5 Things You Need To Know Today: Feb. 22
Ash Wednesday services planned at several local churches.
“Five Things You Need to Know Today” is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. Feels like spring: Today’s forecast calls for temps near 57 degrees, which makes one wonder… was the groundhog wrong? The day will start cloudy, gradually becoming mostly sunny, and it will be a bit windy, with gusts as high as 28 miles per hour, according to the National Weather Service. We might see some showers tonight, mainly between 10 p.m. and 2 a.m., with a low around 35 degrees.
2. Ash Wednesday: Today is Ash Wednesday, the beginning of the season of Lent for Catholics and others of Christian faith. In Needham, ashes will be distributed during the 9 a.m. and 4 and 5:30 p.m. Masses at St. Bartholomew Parish and during the 6:50 and 9 a.m. and 12:10 and 7 p.m. Masses at St. Joseph Parish. See a full schedule of Lenten services on the St. Bart’s and St. Joe’s websites. Also today, The Congregational Church of Needham will hold a “Service of Healing” in observance of Lent tonight at 7 p.m. All are welcome.
3. For the kids: Drop by the Needham Free Public Library today at 10 a.m. for a free storyime geared toward children ages 5 and under. Looking for other ways to keep the kids busy during February Vacation? Check out our guide to activities going on here in Needham.
4. Doc talk: Lisa Gossels, director of the documentary film “My So-Called Enemy,” will be at Temple Beth Shalom this afternoon to participate in a panel discussion following a screening of her 90-minute film. The film follows 22 Palestinian and Israeli teenage girls who came to the United States in July 2002 to participate in the Building Bridges for Peace leadership program. The program will begin at 2 p.m. Cost is $5. Call the temple office at 781-444-0077 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to RSVP.
5. Support group forming: The Needham Council on Aging is putting together a support group for anyone providing care and assistance to a parent, spouse or friend to come meet with others, share ideas and give support to one another. The support group's next meeting will be on Wednesday, March 7 from 12:30-1:30 p.m. at the Senior Center. For other dates and time, call LaTanya Steele at 781-455-7555 ext. 208.