5 Things You Need To Know Today: Feb. 2
Happy Groundhog Day! Will Phil see his shadow?
“Five Things You Need to Know Today” is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. Partly sunny: The day will be partly sunny with a high near 41 degrees and an evening low around 23, according to the National Weather Service. There is a slim chance of snow showers in the evening before 9 p.m.
2. Happy Groundhog Day! It’s been a pretty mild winter so far, especially when you consider what it was like last year, but this is New England, so who knows what the next few months will bring? Allegedly, a groundhog named Punxsutawney Phil knows. Check out the official Groundhog Day website for information about the holiday and watch the live Webcast starting around 6 a.m. Going to be there? Share photos and videos below or e-mail to Becca.Manning@Patch.com.
3. At the library: Lucy the RE.A.D. Dog will visit the Needham Free Public Library at 10:00 a.m. Children ages 3 and up must register beforehand to get a turn reading to Lucy. Call the library at 781-455-7559 to see if there are any spots left or to find out when Lucy will be back. Also going on at the library today (no sign-up required): Toddler Movies from 11-11:30 a.m. and drop-in crafts for ages 2 and up from 4-4:45 p.m.
4. New art exhibit: Gorse Mill Studios will host a reception today from 5-8 p.m. for artist Amalia Tagaris, whose solo exhibit “Closer” will be on exhibit from Feb. 2-15. Tagaris works with encaustic photography. Visit www.gorsemillstudios.com for more information.
5. Coming up: The First Baptist Church in Needham is planning a bowling date on Feb. 18. Children ages 6-12 are invited to come enjoy candlepin bowling at Needham Bowlaway from 1-2:15 p.m. followed by snacks and crafts at the church. Parents must cover the cost of shoe rental at the bowling alley, but everything else is free. To register, call 781-400-5867.