5 Things You Need To Know Today: April 9
Absentee ballots for the Town Election must be submitted by noon.
“Five Things You Need to Know Today” is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. Rainy day: There is a slight chance of showers before 11 a.m. today, and again after 4 p.m., with the rest of the day mostly cloudy, according to the National Weather Service. It will also be breezy, with gusts between 16 and 23 miles per hour and as high as 34 mph. Temperatures will range from 58 degrees to 40 degrees.
2. Planning Board: The Needham Planning Board will meet tonight at 7:30 p.m. in the selectmen’s chambers at Town Hall. There are several public hearings on the agenda, including a review of the site plan for the new Swizzles Yogurt shop at 1450 Highland Ave. Click here to see the full agenda.
3. Want to vote absentee? Today is the last day to submit an application to vote absentee in the April 10 Town Election. Ballots must be submitted to the Town Clerk’s Office by noon. Ballot applications can be found on the Town Clerk's page on the town website, needhamma.gov. (Click on "Town Clerk" under the Departments tab, then click on "Voter Registration and Information" in the left column.)
4. Film festival: North Hill’s first True North Documentary Film Series will open today with the screening of two films. “Big Little Town: The Story of Needham” will be shown at 10 a.m. at Olin College’s Milas Hall, in the auditorium. “Return to Norumbega,” which explores the rich history of one of New England’s prime theme parks, will be shown at 1 p.m. at Olin College’s Academic Center, Room 126. All films in the series are free and open to the public; however, space may be limited at some venues. RSVP via the online box office at truenorthevolution.org/documentary to ensure a seat.
5. Toast of the town: The Boston West Toastmasters Club meets from 7:30-9:00 p.m. every second and fourth Monday of the month at Christ Episcopal Church in Needham. This local chapter of Toastmasters International is a nonprofit organization that helps its members develop their public speaking skills. Learn more at bostonwest.freetoasthost.org.