5 Things You Need To Know Today: April 27
Motivational speaker Travis Roy will give a talk at Pollard Middle School as part of Community Week.
“Five Things You Need to Know Today” is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. Mostly sunny: The day will be mostly sunny and breezy, with a high near 58 degrees and a low around 30, according to the National Weather Service.
2. Travis Roy talk: Motivational speaker Travis Roy will speak tonight at Pollard Middle School from 7-9 p.m., part of High Rock/Pollard PTC’s Community Week. Roy is a former Boston University hockey player who suffered a catastrophic neck injury in the first 11 seconds of his first game as a BU hockey player. Since being injured, Roy created the Travis Roy Foundation for spinal cord injury research and wrote a best-selling autobiography, “Eleven Seconds.” This program is free and open to the community.
3. Hug a husky: Between 3 and 6 p.m. today, visitors to Olin College can “Hug a Husky” and help support the Massachusetts Union for Siberian Huskies, or MUSH, a group that provides resources for Siberian huskies and their owners. The event will be held outdoors on the Olin campus and will include a bake sale.
4. At the senior center: Needham seniors are invited to drop by the Stephen Palmer Senior Center today at 1 p.m. to watch the 2011 film "War Horse.” Also today, a law student with the Elder Law Project at Boston College will take confidential individual appointments at the Senior Center. Call 781-455-7555 to reserve a spot.
5. Craft Fair deadline: Today is the final day to apply to have a booth at the 2012 Needham High School PTC Craft Fair, Silent Auction and Bake Sale. This is a juried event and is the PTC’s major fundraiser. It will be held on Oct. 27. For more information and instructions on applying, visit needhamcraftfair.com. The PTC is also in need of volunteers to help with the event. Visit the website or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for information.