5 Things You Need To Know Today: April 17
Federal and state taxes are due today by midnight.
“Five Things You Need to Know Today” is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. Another warm one: It won’t hit 90 today, but temperatures will still be warm, with a high near 79 degrees, according to the National Weather Service. The day will be sunny and the evening will be partly cloudy with a low around 41 degrees.
2. Tax deadline: It may have been Patriots’ Day in Massachusetts on Monday, but the real reason the federal tax deadline was moved from April 15 to today is because of Emancipation Day, a holiday celebrating the end of slavery in the nation’s capital, on April 16. For those who still haven’t filed their state or federal tax returns, you must have all materials postmarked by today to avoid any late fees. While Needham’s two post offices close at 5 p.m. today, a few nearby will be open later if you need to make a last-minute mailing. Search for post offices by hours online at usps.com.
3. Garden club: The Needham Garden Club will meet this morning at 9:30 a.m. at the Needham Free Public Library’s Community Room. The Flower Arranging Committee will be demonstrating an asparagus and fresh flower arrangement. This is a great opportunity to see and hear what the garden club is all about. A $3 donation is appreciated.
4. Rotary Club lunch: Interested in service and helping out around the community? Join the Rotary Club of Needham. The club holds weekly lunches every Tuesday at noon at the Sheraton Needham Hotel. The gatherings are free to anyone interested in learning more about the club and its membership.
5. Bloggers wanted: Needham Patch is looking for more Local Voices to contribute to the site. You can write on any topic—community activities, history, gardening, cooking, parenting, politics, fitness, finance … Learn more about Local Voices here, and send an e-mail to Becca.Manning@patch.com if you’re interested.