5 Things to Do This Weekend: June 2-3
Shop for summer reading or new-to-you clothing, visit the NBA Street Fair, take a walk at Hemlock Gorge or tour six Needham gardens this weekend.
It’s Thursday, and the weekend is right around the corner. Patch has your back with a few fun things to do. Check our picks for the activities to hit and some places to explore. Here's what's happening in and around your town.
1. Friends of the Needham Public Library Book Fair
- Where/when: Needham Free Public Library, 1139 Highland Ave., Needham; Saturday, June 2, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Sunday, June 3, 1-4 p.m.
- Why go: Shop for great deals on summer reading material and help the Friends of the Needham Public Library support the library. Shop from a variety of paperback and hardcover books as well as CDs, DVDs and other items.
- Pricing: Prices will range from 50 cents to a few dollars. June 3 is Bargain Day.
- Where/when: Hemlock Gorge, Hamilton Place parking lot, 1 Hamilton Place, Needham; Saturday, June 2, 9-10 a.m.
- Why go: Celebrate National Trails Day and walk the trails in Hemlock Gorge. See Echo Bridge, the historic 500-foot stone bridge across the Charles River that was used to carry water to Boston. Stand under the main arch and count the number of times you hear your echo. Meet at 9 a.m. at the Hemlock Gorge parking area in Needham, located on Central Avenue just before it crosses the Charles into Newton.
- Pricing: Free
- Where/when: Town Common, Highland and Great Plain avenues, Needham; Saturday, June 2, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Why go: Now in its 38th year, the NBA Street Fair will be back on the Town Common this year, after being moved to Memorial Park while the Town Hall was undergoing renovations. Many businesses and organizations around Needham will be represented at this event (including Needham Patch), and visitors can drop by to chat with representatives, learn more about each group and pick up free stuff. There will be refreshments for sale, entertainment and activities for the kids, including face painting and a balloon artist. A great day to get out and see what's happening in your community.
- Pricing: Free admission; refreshments for sale
- Where/when: Needham Community Council, 570 Hillside Ave., Needham; Saturday, June 2, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Why go: Starting on June 2, the Needham Community Council is introducing new Saturday hoursfor their recently opened Hillside Thrift Shop. Shop from new-to-you clothing for men, women and children as well as small household items and support the council's community programs. The thrift shop is open to all—no income eligibility is required to shop.
- Pricing: Varies
- Where/when: Needham Historical Society, 1147 Central Ave., Needham; Sunday, June 3, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Why go: See the spectacular gardens of six Needham homeowners and benefit from informational “garden chats” conducted by area experts throughout the day. The tour is self-guided, and participants may start and end the tour any time between the set hours. Ticketholders will begin the Needham Garden Tour at the Needham Historical Society, where they will pick up a program containing garden locations, a map and descriptions. Ticketholders will also be given a bracelet to wear while on the tour. The net proceeds of the Needham Garden Tour will be donated to aid in the restoration of the Greene’s Field playground area. This event will be held rain or shine.
- Pricing: $35 at the door or in advance via NeedhamWomensClub.org