5 Things To Do This Weekend: April 14-15
The Needham Historical Society Pansy Festival is Saturday, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
It’s Thursday, and the weekend is right around the corner. Patch has your back with a few fun things to do. Check our picks for the activities to hit and some places to explore. Here's what's happening in and around your town.
- Where/when: Needham Historical Society, 1147 Central Ave., Needham; Saturday, April 14, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Why go: Pansies are Needham’s official flower, and April is Pansy Month. The Needham Historical Society will be selling pansies all month long, from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. daily. All proceeds benefit the nonprofit society's programs and activities. A the Historical Society’s Pansy Festival on Saturday, April 14, visitors can shop from a selection of pansies, enjoy planting workshops and shop from herbs and perennials, gifts and books and a bake sale. For kids there will be a coloring contest and a scavenger hunt.
- Pricing: Free admission; pansies cost $3.50 for a six-plant flat
2. Pansy Days Deals
- Where/when: Participating stores around Needham; Saturday, April 14
- Why go: In honor of the 30th annual Pansy Festival on April 14, several Needham businesses will be running special deals this weekend, indicated by the display of a pansy. Shoppers who see a pansy in or at a store while shopping in Needham should expect to see some kind of promotion—for example, Perennial Designs will offer a “buy one, get one 30 percent off” sale on silk flowers, and Taylor’s Stationery will offer 10 percent off all purchases on in-stock regular priced items.
- Pricing: Special deals
- Where/when: Prudential Advantage Real Estate, 1089 Great Plain Ave., Needham; Saturday, April 14, 1-4 p.m.
- Why go: The members of the Needham Art Association will be exhibiting their original artwork in the lower level of Prudential Realty in Needham. Their paintings will be on display from April 2-30. Viewing hours will on weekdays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. There is no admission fee for this first spring show at this location. There will be an opening reception with light refreshments on Saturday, April 14 from 1-4 p.m. where awards will be given out to winning artists. The public is invited to attend. Learn more at www.needarts.org.
- Pricing: Free
- Where/when: The Fiddlehead Theatre, 619 High St., Dedham; Friday, April 13 at 8 p.m., Saturday, April 14 at 2 p.m. and 8 p.m. and Sunday, April 15 at 2 p.m.
- Why go: Catch a very rare performance of one of the most successful and longest running Broadway musical right in your backyard. This show features the classic elements of a great show—and one that you don't want to miss.
- Pricing: $25 for adults and $22 for seniors; purchase online
5. Take a Hike/Have a Picnic
- Where/when: DeFazio Park, Ridge Hill Reservation Cutler Park, Horsford Pond Recreation Area, Hemlock Gorge Reservation, Mills Field, Riverside Park; open daily dawn to dusk
- Why go: You don’t have to go far to enjoy the great outdoors. Needham is full of beautiful places perfect for playing, picnicking, walking or just relaxing with a good book under a warm spring sun. Saturday is looking like the best day to spend outdoors, with mostly sunny skies and a high near 71 degrees. Sunday may bring showers, with cloudy skies, but a high near 72. Check out the park listings in the Patch Directory to find more information about parking, location and amenities.
- Pricing: Free; some areas have metered parking