Needham Community Farm Educational Programs Offered
Come learn at the Needham Community Farm at one of their upcoming classes:
Register at www.needhamfarm.org.
- Gardeners in Training—For students entering grades 3-5. Enjoy four mornings of gardening fun. Learn about what’s growing at the farm, seeds and weeds, pollination and composting. Help with a variety of farm activities. When/where: Monday through Thursday, Aug. 27-30, 9 a.m. to noon; Pine St.
- Stories and Recipes for Hungry Minds—For preschoolers ages 4-5 with a parent. Cooking Class inspired by "Mother & Son Kitchen Book Club," a book by local authors Theresa Luu and Mirela Marku. When: Thursday, Sept. 20, 1-2 p.m.; Whole Foods Market Wellesley.
- Canning Basics—This class will take participants though the basics of canning techniques. They will learn to can fresh tomatoes and possibly jam, if time permits. When/where: Saturday, Aug. 25, 2-4 p.m., Whole Foods Market Wellesley.
- Seed Saving—Learn the difference between open pollinated vs. hybrid seed, and different techniques for saving seed from a variety of garden crops. Participants will practice some of these techniques with crops growing at the farm. When/where: Thursday, Sept. 6, 9-11 a.m.; Pine Street
- Fermentation—Learn how to make your own fermented sauerkraut. Simple ingredients and an easy method will be used to create this naturally preserved food which improves your digestion. When/where: Saturday, Oct. 6, 2-4 p.m.; Whole Foods Market Wellesley